“As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace.” 1 Peter 4: 10
A total of 99 parishes and missions are in operation in the Diocese of Antigonish.
The diocesan levy – the fee paid by parishes in exchange for diocesan services – accounts for about 75% of the Diocesan operating revenues. As a result, operations for both parishes and the diocese depends on timely submission of financial reports and accurate levy calculations.
Parishes are asked to submit their financial reports for levy calculation by Feb. 28.
Financial statements are reviewed and verified by Business Office Staff and Bishop.
Calculations are made based on information provided.
Parishes have the option of printing and filling out the reports or using Excel to complete reports and emailing them back to the Diocese.
Contact Cathy Farrow, 902-539-6188 or 1-800-656-5311 ext 230
Instruction for Excel Spreadsheet December 31, 2020
- 1) When you or your financial person opens the spreadsheet please click Enable Editing (at top of document) and then save it and rename it as your parish name. Go to File/Save As/and then save it on your local machine.
- 2) When you are ready to enter information, the spreadsheet is designed to total for you. Go to your saved document and open it. Complete information on Page 1 in Text box under “Name and Address of Parish” If you click next to Parish Name, you will be able to enter data required. Use your arrow keys to move around in text box. If you hit enter it will insert a line and maybe increase the size of the page- the arrows will allow you to move around in the text box without changing the size of the page.
- 3) In the revenue, expenditure and other sections, enter a number wherever there is a $ sign unless the category is not applicable to your Parish. Do not enter any numbers in the cells that are coloured in yellow. These have formulas in them to add certain columns to provide totals for you. For instance on page 2 which is the revenue section the last item in revenue is Other Revenue and it is a yellow box. If you list your “other” sources of revenue on Page4 the total will automatically be entered on this line. So wherever there is a yellow cell DO NOT ENTER information in that cell.
- 4) The only other instruction for using the spreadsheet is to ensure you save periodically and certainly when you close the document.
- 5) When it is finished and ready to be sent, you will need to print the last page (Page 7) and have the appropriate people sign it (Pastor,Finance Council and Parish Council Executive) This page can be scanned and emailed, faxed (902-539-7195) or mailed to us, but please clearly mark which parish it is for.
- 6) When statement is complete please attach to an email and forward to Sandra O’Connell at the Business Office
- 7) Thank you if you have any questions or concerns please contact me at 902-539-6188 ext 230 or 902-578-0430 or email
- 8) This year, you would have received the Wage Subsidy-If you are showing it as Revenue please place the number in the appropriate revenue cell noted “Wage Subsidy”. If you are showing your wage Expense Net of the Wage Subsidy please do not enter an amount in the revenue section. If your payroll costs are the actual cost not considering the wage subsidy please show the wage subsidy received on Page 1 under revenue in the space provided.
I would like your feedback on the reports and this method of reporting. I have streamlined the revenue section, added more categories for expenditures to facilitate reporting. If you think we need something that is missing please let me know. Please note that this year we have again asked for information on who the Chairperson is for your Pastoral/Parish Council as well as your Finance Committee.
Please note that the information provided will eventually be used to calculate levy for 2021. Please ensure that exempt revenue is properly classified on the Financial reports, so that it will be deducted before the levy is calculated. Please remember that an interim levy bill will be issued before the end of January which will represent 1⁄2 of the 2020 final levy bill. Please note as well that these documents are available on the website
Please return to Business Office by February 28, 2020. Thank you and any questions or concerns please contact :
ph 902-539-6188 or 1-800-656-5311 ext 230
How the diocesan levy is calculated:
13.5% of 3-year rolling average of “levyable income”
Included in ‘levyable’ income:
- Sunday Collections – Envelopes and loose change
- Easter and Christmas Collection
- Pastors Dues and automatic debits
- NET Fund Raising Activities
- Donations and gifts made for ordinary parish operating expenses
- Interest on bequests and large windfalls
Excluded from ‘levyable income’:
- Special Collections
- Fund Raising Expenses
- HST Rebates, Grants, other rebates
- Hall Revenue
- Cemetery Revenue
- Income received for shared expenses
- Donations/fundraising earmarked for building fund
- Debt repayment from operations
- Standard Deduction
The levy is billed in two installments:
January billing is 50 % of prior year’s final levy, due by June 30
July billing is total calculated amount minus January payment, due by Dec. 31
Managing Director/Financial Administrator
ph (902) 539-6188/1-800-656-5311 ext 230
ph (902) 539-6188/1-800-656-5311 ext 229
ph (902) 539-6188/1-800-656-5311 ext 222