“Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful.”
Lent begins March 1, starting a journey of reflection, prayer and deeds
as we remember the sacrifice of Our Lord and await the celebration of his Resurrection.
Here are some resources and links to inform and inspire your journey:
Our February Newsletter, with links, Good Deed Beads and more
Share Lent campaign: Development and Peace
with reflections, prayer cards, videos, youth resources and more
2017 Solidarity Calendar, with daily Lenten activities, videos, and prayers
On our Facebook Page, the rosary will be recited live, in both Mi'kmaw and English, from Holy Family parish, Eskasoni, Monday-Thursday starting at about 8 pm. You can also view videos from past prayers.
Stations of the Cross for Children
- Write the phrase “absence makes the heart grow fonder” on the board and ask if anyone can explain what it means. (we miss something or someone the longer we are without it or them)
- Point out that during the season of Lent, because it is considered an Easter word and that by not using it for 40 days, perhaps we will come to appreciate more just how joyful this acclamation is.
- Tell the young people that it is a popular custom to “bury” the as Lent begins so that it can be “dug up” once again on Easter Sunday.
- Distribute an “ banner” that you have made (see ) and invite the children to color the banner.
- If you have a large group, provide a “banner” for each child or for groups of 3 or 4.
- When completed and if possible, escort your group outside to an area that has been designated by a parish staff member (DRE or pastor) to bury the (s).
- Tell the children that for the Gospel acclamation at Mass, instead of singing Alleluia, they will sing proclamations such as “Glory to you, Word of God, Lord Jesus Christ!” or “Glory and praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!” or “Praise and honor to you, Lord Jesus Christ!”
- Make a reminder to “dig up” the during Easter week.
- Tell the children to notice how, when Easter arrives, we can’t seem to sing enough !
Good Deeds Bracelets for Lent
Other userful links: